The BusyCal Window
The main BusyCal window has a number of controls, some of which may not appear depending on your current settings.
The toolbar at the top of the window includes these controls:
- Do Not Disturb — Available in v3.9 and above. Temporarily silence and hide all alarms and sounds. All suppressed alarms will show once DND has turned off automatically, or manually by clicking the toggle button.
- Hide/Show Calendar List — Hide or display the left sidebar, which includes the Calendar List and one or more mini months. See Calendar List.
- New Quick Event — Create an event or to do using natural language. See Quick Entry.
- Inbox — Displays notifications of meeting invitations and changes to shared calendars. See Receiving Meeting Invitations.
- View Buttons — Change the calendar’s current view. For details, see Day View, Week View, Month View, Year View, and List View.
- Time Zone Pop-up Menu — Change the time zone BusyCal is currently using. See Time Zones.
- Hide/Show To Do List button — Hide or show the To Do List, Info Panel, or the entire righthand sidebar. See Info Panel in Sidebar.
- Search Field — Type here to search for events or to dos, or to filter the calendar display. See Searching, Finding, and Filtering Events.
The left sidebar includes:
- Calendar List — A list of all the calendars in all accounts set up in BusyCal. See Calendar List.
- Mini Month — A miniature one-month calendar; drag the dividing line upward to see more months.
The main calendar pane includes:
- Navigation Controls — Click the left or right arrow to navigate forward or backward in time, or Today to jump to today.
The right sidebar includes:
- Sort Order pop-up menu — Change the way to dos are shown in the To Do List.
- To Do List — A customizable list of your to dos. See To Do List.
- Info Panel — Editable details about the selected event or to do. See Info Panel.
The View menu contains controls for switching among calendar views, moving forward or backward in time, and adjusting the way various calendar views are displayed.
You can customize the calendar view by choosing any of following options from the View menu:
- Appearance — Switch between Automatic / Light or Dark mode.
- Days in Week — Sets the number of days to display in Week view. (This submenu appears only in Week view.)
- Weeks in Month — Sets the number of weeks to display in Month view. (This submenu appears only in Month view.)
- Show/Hide Filter Bar — Show or hide the Filter bar, where smart filter buttons are displayed.
- Show/Hide Calendar List Show or hide the Calendar List sidebar on the left.
- Show/Hide Unsubscribed Calendars — Show or hide unsubscribed calendars in the Calendar List sidebar on the left.
- Show/Hide Hidden Calendars — Show or hide hidden calendars in the Calendar List sidebar on the left. You can hide a calendar by right-clicking on the calendar and selecting "Hide".
Show/Hide Mini Months — Show or hide the mini month navigator on the bottom of the Calendar List sidebar on the left.
Tip: To display more mini months in the sidebar, drag the horizontal line above the mini month upward.
Show/Hide To Do List — Show or hide the To Do List sidebar on the right.
Show in To Do List — Select what should appear in the To Do List sidebar on the right when that sidebar is visible:
- To Do List (⌘-Option-L) — The To Do List
- Info Panel (⌘-Option-I) — The embedded Info Panel
- Both (⌘-Option-B) — The To Do List at the top of the right sidebar, and the embedded Info Panel at the bottom. When both panels are visible, you can drag the horizontal divider line between them up or down to change their relative heights.
Show Declined & Canceled Events — Show events that have been cancelled, or to which you’ve declined an invitation, on the calendar in strikethrough style.
Show Hidden Events — Show events that have been hidden (by previously right-clicking on selected events > Hide), on the calendar.
Word Wrap — Displays single or multi-line event titles in the Calendar view. Each display mode (Week, Month, List) can have separate word wrapping preferences. The To Do list panel follows the currently applicable Word Wrap option.
Show Rich Text — Displays plain or rich text event titles in the Calendar view.
Show Weekends — Show or hide weekends in Month/Week view. Does not apply to a Week view with custom number of days.
BusyCal’s toolbar includes two controls that affect the visibility and behavior of the sidebars.
The Hide/Show Calendar List button, on the left, toggles display of the lefthand sidebar, which shows your Calendar List and, optionally, one or more mini month views at the bottom. (Clicking this button is the same as choosing View > Show/Hide Calendar List or pressing ⌘-Option-C.)
The Hide/Show To Do List button, on the right, toggles display of the righthand sidebar, which shows your To Do List, an embedded Info Panel, or both. (Clicking this button is the same as choosing View > Show/Hide To Do List or pressing ⌘-Option-T.)
The pop-up menu on the right side of the Hide/Show To Do List button lets you select whether the right sidebar shows the To Do List, the embedded Info Panel, or both.
From the BusyCal View menu > Go To Date... you can quick jump to a particular date in the calendar. The Quick Search entry field allows you to enter free form text such as: 3 days, 3d (short for 3 days), 2 months (or 2m), friday, next week, next year, 2y and so on.
You can even enter fixed dates such as "3 jan 22" or "dec 2023". Entering a date in the Quick Search field allows you to quickly jump to a particular date on the date picker without having to click multiple times.